February 26, 2018
Report Cards for Grades K-5 will be given out on Wednesday, March 14, 2018. Similar to last year, your child’s teacher will be arranging appointments for all parents/guardians to accommodate your busy schedules and lessen wait time
Parent Teacher Conferences for the Spring 2018 term are as follows:
Date: Thursday, March 15, 2018 (afternoon/evening conferences will be held the same day)
Times: Afternoon Conferences — 12:30 pm – 2:30 pm
Evening Conferences — 4:30 pm -7:30 pm
**Half-Day of School – All Students will be dismissed on Thursday, March 15, 2018 at 11:20 am sharp due to Parent Teacher Conferences:
- TASC AFTER SCHOOL programs are cancelled on Thursday, March 15, 2018.
- Appointments will be made in advance with parents and teachers for Spring conferences.
- Hot lunch will be given to all children participating in the hot lunch program.
- Yellow school bus service will be provided for those children using the service.
- Please make every effort to meet with your child’s teacher. By attending this conference you will have the opportunity to discuss your child’s progress.
- Translators will be available in Russian/Hebrew/Spanish/Italian/Arabic /Cantonese/Mandarin
- S. 101’s Grading Policy Grades K-5
ME: “Mastery-Exceeds” Standards (95-100) = 4 by NYS Standards
MA: “Mastery-Above” Standards (85-94) = a mid-high 3 by NYS Standards
MT: “Mastery-Meets” Standards (75-84) = a low-mid 3 by NYS Standards
MP: “Mastery-Approaching” Standards (65-74) = 2 by NYS Standards
MB: “Mastery-Below Standards (64 or less) – 1 by NYS Standards
P.S. 101 is dedicated to the advancement of all students on their way to becoming college and career ready. This document serves as our written transparent grading policy to inform students and families about how grades are earned. This document outlines how courses are graded, the scale of marks awarded and when and how often students receive grades. Our school-wide policy is published on our website and hard copies are available upon request. This policy is included in our opening Student/Parent Handbook for your perusal. Students will receive one remaining end of year report card in June.
Marks Awarded: The minimum grade a student must receive to pass a course is Mastery Approaching (MA is slightly below grade level). Grades are cumulative and show students’ progress throughout the year. Our Grading Policy:
Our grading policy applies to all students, including Students with Disabilities (SWD) and English Language Learners (ELLs). Please note all students, regardless of being an ELL or SWD* are held to Grade Level Standards.
*Students with disabilities-annual goals, plans for progress monitoring, and promotion criteria are document in the IEP, while the report card documents progress made in the general education curriculum. All students, including students with disabilities, receive grades based on how well they master the Grade Level subject matter, concepts, content, and skills addressed in a subject. The IEP describes specially designed instruction and accommodations for an individual student that is used to create access to grade-level standards and enable progress toward annual goals.
As we prepare for the Spring 2018 Parent Teacher Conferences, we recommend that you utilize these questions for gaining a better understanding of how your child is doing in school:
- What is my child expected to learn, know and do at this grade level? How will it be assessed?
- What are the big projects my child will be doing in your class this year? Throughout the year, how will I know if my child is meeting grade level expectations?
- What does my child do well and what does he or she struggle with? Can you give me examples? If my child needs extra support or wants to learn more about a subject, are there resources to help his or her learning outside the classroom? Can you give me examples?
- Does my child turn in homework on time? Is my child happy at school? How does my child get along with classmates and adults?
————————————————————- TEAR – OFF ——————————————————-
Please check when you will be attending the Parent-Teacher Conference on Thursday, March 15th and return immediately.
______ I will be attending the Afternoon Conferences — 12:30 pm – 2:30 pm.
______ I will be attending the Evening Conferences — 4:30 pm -7:30 pm
Student Name: ____________________________________ Class: ___________
Parent Signature: __________________________________ Date:____________