Dear P.S. 101 The Verrazano at 8696 24 Avenue Community:
Please read the letter below regarding 2 confirmed cases of Positive COVID at PS 101.
Both effected classrooms have been closed and all connected staff and students were notified and are on quarantine.
As a result of determinations made by the NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DOHMH) and The NYC Test + Trace Corps (T2), 2 members of our school community have tested positive for COVID-19, and may have exposed others while at school.
Below you will find guidance that reflects the expertise of the NYC Department of Health & Mental Hygiene (DOHMH), the New York City Department of Education (DOE) and the NYC Test & Trace Corps (T2).
What Happens Now?
● All students and staff in the affected class(es) with the individual who tested positive are considered “close contacts,” and have been notified of the need to quarantine for 14 days from their last contact with the person who tested positive. These students and staff will transition to fully remote teaching and learning for this period.
● T2 and DOHMH will complete their investigation to identify and notify any other close contacts in the building, who will also need to quarantine for 14 days.
● Anyone with a positive COVID-19 test will not return to the school until they are no longer infectious.
● All areas visited by the person with COVID-19 will be deep cleaned, disinfected, and reopened.
● If your child is feeling sick, keep them at home.
How do we stay healthy?
Please remember to follow these important “Core Four” actions to prevent COVID-19 transmission:
1. Stay home if sick (except to get essential medical care, including COVID-19 testing).
2. Practice social distancing: Stay at least 6 feet away from people who are not members of your household.
3. Wear a face covering to reduce the spread of COVID-19.
4. Practice healthy hand hygiene: Wash your hands often or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer; avoid touching your face; and cover your cough or sneeze with your arm, not your hands.
How can I stay updated?
We will continue to closely follow directions from public health experts and proactively update you on any measures we are taking. To ensure we can reach you via text and email, please create a New York City Schools Account (NYCSA) as soon as possible by visiting schools.nyc.gov/nycsa.
To help New Yorkers quarantine, the NYC Test + Trace Corps partners with community-based organizations to connect individuals to resources like food, medicine, and health care. To connect with resources, you can call 1-212-COVID19 (212-268-4319). For additional information on COVID-19, visit schools.nyc.gov/coronavirus or call 311.