Dear 5th Grade Families,
The middle school application is now available. This means that:
- Families who have created a MySchools account in the parent portal may submit application choices.
The application deadline is Tuesday, March 1. The parent portal will close at that time.
We are excited to announce that, starting with Fall 2022 admissions, the DOE will phase in a sibling priority for middle school applicants citywide. This means:
- For students applying during the 2021-2022 school year and entering middle school in fall 2022: Applicants with a sibling in sixth grade will receive a priority to attend the same school as that sibling.
- For students applying during the 2022-2023 school year and entering middle school in fall 2023: Applicants with a sibling in sixth or seventh grade will receive a priority to attend the same school as that sibling.
- This priority includes any full-siblings, half-siblings, step-siblings, and/or foster siblings who live in the same household as the applicant.
- When families are submitting their application in the parent portal, they will be asked to identify any sixth grade sibling.
Additionally, we are excited to announce that if a family has more than one child the same age applying to middle school (ie., twins), that family may choose to submit identical applications for those students so they receive an offer to the same program.
- If a family has more than one middle school applicant connected to their MySchools account and wants them to attend the same program, they may only need to add choices to one application.
- Before submitting that application, the family will be asked by MySchools if they would like to add the same application choices to the other child’s (or children’s) application(s)
More information on the phased in sibling priority can be found on our website. If you are submitting an application in the school portal on behalf of a family with a sixth-grade sibling, or multiples, instructions on how to handle this in the school portal are in our MySchools guide.
This year, arts-based programs may audition applicants virtually. Applicants will be able to upload photographs or videos of their auditions directly into MySchools starting the week of January 24. Information about auditions, including the audition components for citywide arts programs, are on the audition website. More information about virtual auditions, including supporting families and the audition components for district-based programs will be available before the week of January 24.
Please also join the following middle schools in their virtual open house:
- Cavallaro IS 281 – Virtual Open House Information
- Bay Academy – Virtual Open House Information
- Mark Twain JHS 239– Virtual Open House Information
- I.S. 228 David A. Boody – Virtual Open House