March 22, 2020
Dear PS101 Families:
As you know, the health and safety of our students and staff is our top priority. Much has changed very rapidly with respect to COVID-19 in our school community and citywide. School buildings are now closed to students until April 20, 2020, and remote learning will begin next week for all students.
With respect to the PS101 community, I am writing to inform you that a member of our school community has self-reported that they tested positive for COVID-19. A disinfection of the school building has been completed in accordance with New York State Department of Health guidelines. As a reminder, the DOE routinely conducts deep cleanings in your school.
What You Should Do
- If you feel sick, do not go to school or to work.
- Call your doctor if you have symptoms like coughing, shortness of breath, fever, or sore throat and tell your doctor that you may have been exposed to COVID-19. If you need help finding medical care, call 311.
- Educate yourself about COVID-19 through the NYC Health Department’s website at https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/health/health-topics/coronavirus.page.
- Continue to practice general viral infection prevention measures including:
- Wash your hands with soap and water often.
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue or sleeve when sneezing or coughing.
- Do not touch your face with unwashed hands.
- Do not shake hands. Instead, wave or elbow bump.
- Monitor your health more closely than usual for cold or flu symptoms.
- Get your flu shot – it’s never too late.
- Reduce overcrowding by walking or biking, if possible.
- If the train is too packed, wait for the next one.
Please visit schools.nyc.gov/coronavirus for important school-related guidance and nyc.gov/coronavirus at any time for critical updates, including ways to fight stigma and bias around the coronavirus. It’s important we come together and support one another during this time.
Nothing matters more than the health and safety of our staff and students, and we are committed to keeping our school community fully informed.
Please do not hesitate to contact Superintendent DiMola at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.